Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I am a Songwriter



We live in a culture obsessed with titles. Think about it. What is one of the first questions you ask someone that you have just met? I usually ask what they "do" and expect them to tell me how they make a living. Don't you? We draw a lot of importance in what we do and having a title that gives us some social status.

Here is what I don't like about titles. We feel like we have to be successful at something (or at least compitent) to hold that title. Therefore, many of us have what I will call shadow titles...those descriptions we long to have and know we were created to be, but don't yet feel comfortable sharing with the world. What a shame.

I understand that there will always be a spectrum of what is socially acceptable; that black and white is impossible to apply to social norms. But wouldn't it be wonderful to feel more freedom to push against what is considered acceptable and not worry about what others will think?

I am a songwriter. Writing songs is what I am good at and what I am created to do. However, I never tell people that is what I am. I give a whole list of other things that I "do" and if you are lucky (and I am feeling rather brave) I will tell you I am an "aspiring" songwriter. I don't feel like I have done anything to deserve the real title. That is ridiculous.

Has anyone famous ever recorded one of my songs? Nope. Has anyone other than myself ever recorded one of my songs? Nope. Have I ever earned any money from selling my songs? Not enough to report to the IRS. Yikes.

Yet I choose to look through a different lens and claim my title from a different standard: I have written a bunch of songs. I have a bunch more that are waiting to be finished. In time, they will be molded in a recording studio and find an audience. Doesn't that make me a songwriter?

I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment